Sunday 27 July 2014

Trailer: NBC's CONSTANTINE (SDCC 2014)

Sunday 27 July 2014

NBC revealed a fresh trailer for their upcoming supernatural drama CONSTANTINE at San Diego Comic-Con yesterday, and it's a big improvement on the others (which were already pretty cool). Of course, I've already seen the pilot, and thought it was distinctly average, but they've reworked it ahead of transmission in October.

Lucy Griffiths has been dropped as co-lead (so her pilot role is now a glorified guest-star), and the female lead will now be a character from the comics called Zed (Angélica Celaya). The pilot was shown to the Comic-Con crowd, and also involved Constantine fighting a demonic version of himself in the climax, instead of just a CGI demon in the original version I saw.

I doubt the pilot has changed enough for me to alter my score for it, but this trailer suggests a much darker tone than the pilot achieved. There are also lots of clips from subsequent episode, which look very promising. I was disappointed when I saw the Constantine pilot a month or so ago, but some of my optimism has returned.